artk
Sun, Aug 18, 2019 4:18 PM
Sun, Jul 21, 2019 5:05

Sedition case against Priya Saha dismissed

media

Hours after filing of a sedition case against Priya Biswas Saha for her comments “against the state” during a meeting with the US President Donald Trump, a Dhaka court dismissed it on Sunday.

Hours after filing of a sedition case against Priya Biswas Saha for her comments “against the state” during a meeting with the US President Donald Trump, a Dhaka court dismissed it on Sunday.

Earlier in the day, Barrister Syedul Haque Suman filed the sedition case with the court.

It is a mandatory provision to take home ministry's approval for filing a sedition case.

On July 18, Priya, one of the organising secretaries of Bangladesh Hindu-Bouddha-Christian Oikya Parishad, told the US president that 37 million Hindu, Buddhist and Christian people have disappeared from Bangladesh.

The statement was captured on a video and went viral on social media platforms.

Metropolitan Magistrate Md Ziaur Rahman recorded the statement of Barrister Suman and said he will pass an order on the issue later in the day.

In his complaint, Barrister Suman also appealed to the court for issuing an arrest warrant against her and said her comments on Bangladesh are all false, fabricated and baseless which are tantamount to sedition.

Priya Saha, a Bangladeshi national, participated in the Second Ministerial to Advance Religious Freedom held at the US Department of State in Washington, DC on July 16-18.

In a video captured at the programme, Priya Saha was seen telling US President Donald Trump, among other things, that “37 million Hindu, Buddhist and Christian people have been disappeared from Bangladesh”.

Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen also attended the meeting.

Delegates from 106 countries, including about 40 Foreign Ministers, took part in the meeting at the invitation of Mike Pompeo, the US Secretary of State.

 

newsbangladesh.com/nbd