Sat, Dec 7, 2019 7:33 AM
Mon, Jul 15, 2019 8:08

Conspiracies against me to save Rifat’s killers: Minni



She says the 007 group is trying to mislead the murder investigation

The wife of Rifat Sharif, who was hacked to death on broad daylight in Barguna last month, has claimed that conspiracies are afloat against her in a bid to save the “real killers.”

“The 007 group is very powerful and influential in Barguna. They are pressuring my father-in-law in many ways to influence, and divert Rifat’s murder probe so as to protect the killers,” Ayesha Siddiqua Minni said while addressing a press briefing at her parents’ home in Barguna municipality town on Sunday.

Minni’s claim comes a day after Rifat’s father Dulal Sharif, at another media call on Saturday, alleged that she was involved in his son’s murder, and demanded her arrest.

Calling her father-in-law’s allegations false and baseless, she said: “My husband was hacked to death in front of my own eyes on June 26. I tried, but couldn’t save him. No one came forward to help.”

“I was named as the first witness in the case that my father-in-law filed the very next day accusing 12 people. I wasn’t charged. But now suddenly allegations are levelled against me to mislead the investigation,” she said.

 “Many have questioned my role after seeing the CCTV footage, but no one tried to know the truth,” she said.

She said on the day of the killing, Rifat went to her college, and said that his father was there, and wanted to see her.

“When I came out, his father wasn’t there. Rifat requested me to go out with him when Rishan Farazi, Rifat Farazi, and several others took hold of him.

“I was taken aback by the whole thing, and went after them. When I saw them beating Rifat up, I tried to save him but failed,” Minni said.

She also expressed gratitude towards the home minister, the administration, and the Barguna SP for giving her protection, and urged the prime minister to ensure justice.

On June 26 morning, Rifat Sharif was indiscriminately hacked by a group of assailants, led by Sabbir Ahmed Nayan alias Nayan Bond, in front of Barguna Government College, in broad daylight.

The CCTV footage showed his wife Minni trying desperately to save him, while the bystanders watched.

Rifat succumbed to his critical injuries later that afternoon, while undergoing treatment at Sher-e-Bangla Medical College Hospital in Barisal.

Police so far have arrested 13 people over the brutal killing that sparked nationwide outrage.

Nayan, however, was killed in a “gunfight” with police on July 2.

A total of seven suspects, including three accused from the case Rifat’s father started, have confessed to their involvements in the murder, while six others are still in police remand.