artk
Fri, Jul 19, 2019 6:40 AM
Thu, Jul 11, 2019 1:01

Probe body formed over Rajshahi train derailment

media

 

As of 11 am on Thursday, four boggies have been recovered as rescue operation is underway with full force

A three-member committee has been formed to probe the derailment of an oil-laden train in Charghat upazila of Rajshahi, which left thousands of passengers stranded.

Nine boggies of an oil-laden train going from Pabna to Rajshahi were derailed near Sarda on Wednesday evening.

Bangladesh Railway has suspended an assistant executive engineer of Rajshahi (western region), Abdur Rashid, over the incident.

Abdul Karim, station manager of Rajshahi Railway Station, said rail communications between Rajshahi and the rest of the country were snapped after the accident. As of 11 am on Thursday, four boggies have been recovered as the rescue operation is underway with full force.

Asim Kumar Talukdar, chief engineer of railway's western region signal and telecommunications said: "Divisional Engineer-2 Arifuzzaman will head the probe body to investigate the derailment."

When asked how long it will take to restore rail communications with Rajshahi, Divisional Railway Manager Mizanur Rahman said: "We are repairing the part of rail tracks that had been damaged. Once repaired, the boggies will be set back on the tracks. But he could not say how long it might take."

Thousands of passengers remain stranded as rail communications with Rajshahi and other parts of the country remain suspended. Several inter-district trains have been stuck at Abdullahpur junction and Iswardi bypass while the Sirajganj-bound commuter train has been canceled.